Wednesday, May 7, 2014

DIY Octopus Art


If you follow me on instgram (@kirstenkrason) you saw that Erin (@erin.m.morgan) and I recently installed a nautical playroom. It looks so cute and I can't wait to share all the pictures with all of you! Just like any project we had a budget to work with so we wanted to incorporate some DIY ideas.  Today I'm going to share with you how we took a shower curtain and turned it into art! 

A few years ago I bought this shower curtain for Jett's Bathroom

 

I've always loved it. The graphic is so amazing that it always seemed to me like there must be a way to turn it into art! 

When Erin and I started this nautical playroom design we decided to give it a try! 

Erin is much handier than me so she figured out how to put the art together once we got out to the install. Here are her instructions! 

The shower curtain was 72x72" so I wanted to leave 2" on every side to have room to wrap it over the wood. I went to Home Depot and got 2 2"x1"x70" for the top and the bottom of the frame then I got 4 2"x1"x68" for the sides of the frame and the middle supports. Home Depot cut the wood to the desired length for free! 



For the frame assembly I laid all the wood out with the 1" side facing up, and screwed each end of the side pieces and the middle pieces  into the top and bottom of the frame. 



I then ironed the shower curtain and laid it over the top of the frame.



 I nailed in the top first and then stretched it to where I wanted it on the bottom and nailed in the bottom. Then nailed in the sides last. 


I nailed about every 6-8". The nailing gave it a more industrial look instead of a staple gun which could get sloppy. It was super easy with 2 people, it took us about an hour to make it and hang it!


Thanks Erin for that easy explanation!

After they made the piece Erin and Lindsey just hung it up on the wall with a few nails.


It is seriously such a statement in the room! 

32 comments:

  1. You know how much I love the octopus so of course I adore this project. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! What a great idea - this would look amazing using the elephant & floral shower curtain from anthro. You two are the best design duo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! it looks amazing. great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an insanely awesome idea! What a great way to make big art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did the same thing with a marimekko fabric shower curtain (because it was so much cheaper than the tuuli trees fabric) a couple years ago and I love it. Big impact low cost and if the kids get it dirty it wipes up easily lol. Love the octopus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! I am dreaming up where to do this in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! I'm now on the hunt for a cool shower curtain to go in my son's room! You girls are so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so genius! this opens up a whole new world: shower curtain art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to do that! Not kidding at all! And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks amazing! I want to go shopping for shower curtains now!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sweet goodness! This is pure brilliance.

    thelittleliongirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, this is so stinking awesome!!! MEGA impact. I've gotta find a place for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so awesome! I just love this idea! Wish the link the shower curtain worked :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's not working for you! Try this one:

      http://www.allmodern.com/Thomas-Paul-Bath-Octopus-Shower-Curtain-in-Charcoal-SC105-CHR-L2243-K~TMP1259.html?refid=GX19663650796-TMP1259&device=c&ptid=38909285476&gclid=CKaQ8vbfpr4CFVR5Mgod0TcAjA

      Delete
  14. I love this idea. What a great graphic way to eat up a large wall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an awesome idea! I'm obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Besy Hyip program in Forex Business and Make Money Online with Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    HotFxEarnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome idea! Such a focal point!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, this looks so amazing! What a statement piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Came here through Sarah M Dorsey- I love it. Looks very doable but adds so much inexpensively!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful idea! This octopus art turned out so cute! Looove it!

    Carpet Cleaning Hammersmith

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic idea, I do have to say. I have a huge wall above my tv that goes to the second level, that would have been fine spot to do something like that. Ocean, sea side is my theme.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it!! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks so cute and I can't wait to share all the pictures with all of you! ... framedwallart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Erin is much handier than me so she figured out how to put the art together ... 4wallart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Erin is much handier than me so she figured out how to put the art ... 2largewallart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Best DIY decoration idea ever!! Just LOVE it! Thank you so much.

    Hugs
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at kirstenkrason@gmail.com.

Have a Great Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails