Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Decorating a Rental


One of my best friends and clients Trisha has been living in a rental for over a year now. While the house is nice and neutral it doesn't showcase Trisha's amazing style and taste. So she asked for my help to spruce up her Living Room. 


This is an idea of what we started with. Trisha already had all the main pieces for the room but we wanted to add some pillows and recover her ottoman. Because she's renting we couldn't hang anything on the walls including art or window treatments. When she leaves this house she will have to pay for every single hole she puts in the wall. I convinced her that with pillows and accessories we could add a lot to the space! 



I put together a fabric scheme for her jumping off from the amazing ottoman we recovered. The blue trellis pillow was made from Kravet Riad in Indigo. All the pillows were sew by Erin from Plush Studio




The ottoman fabric is G.P. & J. Baker Hydrangea Bird in Natural and was reupholstered by Rocky Mountain Upholstery



We wanted the room to have a color scheme of pink, blue and seafoam.  The pink pillow was made from Fabricut Definitely Maybe in Raspberry. The blue dot pillow is from Land's End but is no longer available. 


We didn't have a lot of space for accessories so we kept them minimal. Trisha bought this amazing rock in St. George Utah on a recent trip we took together. 


The media cabinet is from Home Decorators. It's no longer available in white but you can get it for a great deal in espresso


The rug is from Dash & Albert


These amazing blue chairs are from Caitlin Creer. The ikat fabric is from Robert Allen



The lamp is the Arteriors Home Cooper Gold Iron Floor Lamp. It is amazing! 

For me the key with rentals is to not focus on what you can't do and focus on what you can do instead. We can't do overhead lighting so we brought in an amazing floor lamp. We can't do anything about window treatments and art so we added fun prints and colors with the ottoman fabric and pillows. We can't repaint the walls so we added color with pillows, furniture and the rug. 

I also told Trisha to remember that this rental is not her "forever house". We wanted to buy things that she could easily transfer to her new home. That amazing lamp will look good anywhere forever so it was a great investment. Don't buy crappy stuff just because you aren't living in a permanent home. Think about buying things that you will love and have for a long time after your time in this rental is over. 

35 comments:

  1. Loved this! I've always lived in a rental (or my parent's house...) and always struggle with investing money on what may or may not work in the next place and often skip on investing on quality items. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3M Command Strips hang ANYTHING and no holes or damage to walls whatsoever! That is how we hang everything in my daughter's dorm room and even some gallery walls around home. You can even hang curtains!! No pics, artwork, or curtains would give me an anxiety attack!;) ~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That came off as rude, not intended! I love your design, and her furniture pieces are amazing!!!! ~Kim

      Delete
    2. Lol. I recommended using Command strips but when it came down to it we didn't want to spend the money on custom curtains that wouldn't work in her new home. But those command strips are amazing! I love them for gallery walls too.

      Delete
    3. You can also use spring rods for the curtains, if your windows are deep enough. That's what I do in my rental. I love natural light, but the sun beats on my living room windows from noon to sundown and the heat is too much (in Texas). I just bought plain curtains from Target that complimented my color scheme and hung them on spring rods.

      And those command strips are all I used for all my wall hangings-mirror in bedroom, wall clock, etc.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that you posted this! My husband and I are getting ready to move into our new place, but it's a rental. I feel like EVERYONE has a hard time making a rental their own space. You've given me some great ideas. I am also obsessing over that striped rug. It's gorgeous.

    xo
    www.simplylowcountry.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did! All of that color and pattern would make me so happy it would certainly take my mind off what I 'couldn't' do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the recommendation for command strips/hooks. They really are amazing and leave no damage. I used them in my dorm in college, and my husband and I use them in our rental now. They even make some that can hold a lot of weight, so there are no excuses to have empty walls ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is AMAZING. I actually had to scroll back up and double-check that there was really nothing on the walls :D You don't even really notice with all the pattern awesomeness :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you find the G.P. & J. Baker Hydrangea Bird in Natural in that color? I can't find it anywhere? Love this room and the color combinations, its provided me with much needed inspiration for our living room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the lamp!! And great advice about investing in nice pieces that stand the test of time!! Alayne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute space. I want that ottoman fabric in an accent pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the clean lines of the furniture and the bright colors you brought in - gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. where i live now is a rental. i have made SO many holes in the walls. :/ i love her sofa and chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving that console and the ottoman ! Great job on taking the room to the "next level"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love all of the fabrics you chose! i totally agree that the command strips and hooks are the way to go! and they are reusable too, so they are worth the investment. plus, you could use the hooks to hang inexpensive, gauzy/lightweight panels on either side of the window to help frame it. rentals can be tricky but i think you did a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how the patterns work together here. That ottoman fabric...what a gorgeous jumping off point for the rest of the room!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this Kirsten! Great color, love the lamp and the two chairs in blue are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! We own our townhome but plan on renting it out in the near future. I almost feel like I'm renting from our future renters in that I want to keep it pretty neutral so we don't have to re-do everything when it's time to rent. These ideas are so helpful when thinking about how to spruce up a space without having to change everything when we move out! Hope you're having a great week, Kirsten!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Earn Money with Facebook, Just Post a Picture on Facebook and Get Earning on Every post, Social Media is the best way to earn money online and Facebook is the Most popular website in the World, You can Join any where in the World and Get Earnings with Us
    Facebook Sharing, Facebook Wall Sharing and Earn with Jobz Corner
    jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that sofa! Can you share where she got it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What is Lol...? Every thing you want in Lol and Troll, Now you Get all in one Network, ThatIsLol.. Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Lol Peoples, Funny Peoples, Troll Images, troll pictures, funny pictures, Facebook pictures, facebook funny pictures, facebook lol pictures, Funny videos and Much More only Laughing out of Laughing
    lolsgag.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now 1st time ever in Internet World, Facebook Earning program has been Launch, Now you Car earn money online with Just use Facebook and earn unlimited. Post a Picture on Facebook and Get $0.5 Dollar per Post, Unlimited Postings and Unlimited Earning.
    Share a Picture on Your Friends wall and Get Unlimited Income from home
    jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. World's best Online Hot Current Affairs Network where you can get every thing, World's Most Popular Classified Sites, Full Entertainment, Entertainment Pictures Article and Latest News, Latest Mp3 Tunes, Internet Online Jobs, Data Entry, Copy Pasting, Clicking, Facebook and Marketing Jobs, Online Marketing, Facebook Marketing, SEO Marketing, Latest Funny Entertainment Hot and Lol pictures, Funny Hot and Entertainment Videos
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. i like that sofas!Great color, love the lamp and the two chairs in blue are gorgeous!thanks for tips. designer decorator fabric

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love You Living Room,its Color, Design ,Combinations of Pillow Color.Its Amazing !Superb .
    3m command & Dip Sets

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amiable articles and the blogs really helped me a lot, thanks for the valuable information.
    rent apartments

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fastidious blog you’ve got here. I’ve ever been seeing you just about many blogs recently.
    Northern VA Homes for Sale

    ReplyDelete
  26. best home security systemAmiable articles and the blogs really helped me a lot, thanks for the valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now this is in actual fact cooperative. It’s very openhanded of you to share this with us.
    Roofing Contractor

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The blog is good enough I again n again read this. UK Plaster

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous decorate to each household things at it best place, Well done! HomeSearchTo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at kirstenkrason@gmail.com.

Have a Great Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails